Welcome Hunters and Anglers!
Hunting and fishing licenses may be purchased online at: www.gfp.sd.gov or at the following locations in Redfield:
|Appel Oil Co.||833 3rd Street West||605-472-0136|
|One Stop||105 7th Avenue West||605-472-1005|
|Spink Co. Treasurer||210 7th Avenue East||605-472-4583|
|Ace Hardware||525 Main Street||605-472-1131|
|Redfield Food Center||516 Main Street||605-472-0424|
Redfield's claim as the "Pheasant Capital of the World"® dates back to 1908.
The first successful stocking of pheasants in South Dakota took place in June, 1908 when H.P. Packard, J. Schalkle and H.A. Hagmann secured three pairs of pheasants from Grants Pass, Oregon. The birds were kept in crates on the Schalkle farm before they were released.
L.J. Howard, who at the time was the Spink County Clerk of Courts, went with the three men to Hagmann's Grove, just north of Redfield, to release the birds. The number of pheasants grew steadily over the years and the state game department purchased 48 pairs of birds with privately subscribed funds and released them near Redfield.
The first one-day open season on cock pheasants occurred in Spink County on October 30, 1919. Each person holding a small game license was permitted to kill two cock pheasants.
Redfield also had excellent deer, waterfowl and fishing opportunities.
W.H. Over Museum, State University of South Dakota, Vermillion, S.D.
Volume 22, No. 9 September, 1961
“The Ring-Necked Pheasant in South Dakota" by William H. Over